6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Part # needed and a little reasurrance

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part # needed and a little reasurrance

Well I'm going back in to change the oil cooler on the beast (wish I'd have done it when I did the egr delete but was unaware of the oil cooler at the time). I've read somewhere that there's a steel mesh screen instead of the nylon screen under the oil cooler. Anyone know the part # for this steel screen and where I can get it? Also any tips or tricks for getting the oil cooler out and apart would be greatly appreciated.

And just to throw this out there if anybody has found some kind of magic fairy dust that shrinks the oil cooler down so that you don't have to take all the other crap out I'll pay a generous amount for it.

thanks

Shawn

Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Here's a few part numbers to help you out...

Larger oil drain tube (Ford Part # 6C3Z-9T515-A)
Larger oil drain tube (International Part # 1876071C91)

New (solid) turbo Oil Feed Line
New (solid) oil feed tube (Ford Part # 3C3Z-9T516-A)
New (solid) oil feed tube (International Part # 1845287C95)

OIL COOLER REBUILD KIT
Ford - 3C3Z-6A642-CA

OIL COOLER SCREEN
Ford - 3C3Z-6C683-AB

Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
it seems to be the screen in now comming in the last batch of oil cooler kits.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Whuisman thanks for the part #s. I already updated the oil tube and drain tube when I did my egr delete.

Cheezit thanks for the heads up on the screens coming with the oil cooler kits now. I'll check the kit before I leave the dealership. Any tips or tricks u got on the oil cooler rebuild? I've read somewhere to get all the oil out of the valley to replace the screen then put a quart of fresh oil back in the valley when I'm done. Is this correct?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
jetact
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w_huisman

OIL COOLER REBUILD KIT
Ford - 3C3Z-6A642-CA

OIL COOLER SCREEN
Ford - 3C3Z-6C683-AB
w_huisman

Should all of those parts be replaced? Is the New turbo oil feed line you have listed the same as the numbers you have listed for the oil feed tube?

I am doing an EGR cooler delete. I just bought a new intake gasket set, oil cooler rebuild kit and a screen. I will also take the injectors out and have them tested. I have also decided to get some head gaskets and ARP studs and change those while I am this deep in the motor. Good idea or not. Its a 2005 with 58,000 miles on it. Have already gone through one cooler (no ford did nothing to the oil cooler as they said they tested it and it was fine about 17,00 miles ago). I have asked Cheezit a few questions and he has been great and allot of help. I have heard a few people talk about a larger oil drain tube but not the feed tube. Are they needed? Do you think I should do the heads? Should I have them decked?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

sorry but im no help on part numbers.
IMO the drain tibe for the turbo is a good update.
IMO the new fuel pressure regulator spring is a good update.
IMO the turbo supply line is not that major but its a solid line and is less likly to leak or restrict oil flow to the turbo. If I was there I would do it.

So far as sending the injectors out to be tested do you have an issue or suspect an issue with one now? If not not much can be tested with out a flow bench. not many guys have them and the time/cost involved may not be worth it. Please someone correct me if Im wrong here.

If you have the skills, the tools and the time to do heads then it wont hurt, you may find that you dont yet need them (see tsb 09-08-03). thats your call.

If you have no experance with checking heads then I would take them to a machine shop to have them looked at. A good machine shop should be able to advise you on what can and can not be done.
So far as decking the heads goes Ford says not to, aftermarket does it all the time. just have to measure deck hight to make sure they are correct after the mill.

If I missed something let me know.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by cheezit
sorry but im no help on part numbers.
IMO the drain tibe for the turbo is a good update.
IMO the new fuel pressure regulator spring is a good update.
IMO the turbo supply line is not that major but its a solid line and is less likly to leak or restrict oil flow to the turbo. If I was there I would do it.

So far as sending the injectors out to be tested do you have an issue or suspect an issue with one now? If not not much can be tested with out a flow bench. not many guys have them and the time/cost involved may not be worth it. Please someone correct me if Im wrong here.

If you have the skills, the tools and the time to do heads then it wont hurt, you may find that you dont yet need them (see tsb 09-08-03). thats your call.

If you have no experance with checking heads then I would take them to a machine shop to have them looked at. A good machine shop should be able to advise you on what can and can not be done.
So far as decking the heads goes Ford says not to, aftermarket does it all the time. just have to measure deck hight to make sure they are correct after the mill.

If I missed something let me know.
Thank cheezit your a huge help. Well I was going ot send the injectors out for testing to the guys that do our big international trucks.
That was if anything needs to be done to them then they can do it. I had 3 injectors replaced a few years ago. I planned on buying a new one this year but I want to see if the new motor is going to be ok I have decided so I have decided to keep the truck for 2 more years. I want to do it all as I want it to run that long. I have low miles and had the tranny rebuilt 14,000 miles ago to the tune of $5,800 so I might as well run it out. I went with an 08 case and everything updated possible with a few heavy duty items. I guess I wont deck the heads but will probably do the ARP studs. That is a big job to get it down this far and not do them I think. I am going to also pull my radiator and har it looked at also as there is some white residue around the top.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Man that steep for a trans overhaul. I hate doing trans work. But I think I would have to do mine if it came to that. Im about the worst trans tech around and I know it but I have been in to a few 5r110's and they are somewhat on the simple side so far as auto trans goes.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
jetact
Elder User
I punched a hole in the case and so on. Lots of new parts and running at a higher pressure aslo. Yes it was steep but of course when it started leaking we had the bigest snow falls in years for 2 solid weeks so I drove it and drove it. I pretty much ate it up inside. Fluid was running out when I finally took it in but I live on a hil and needed the truck. It has gotten me where I need to go so I dont mind dumping money into it and making it all right.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jetact
I punched a hole in the case and so on. Lots of new parts and running at a higher pressure aslo. Yes it was steep but of course when it started leaking we had the bigest snow falls in years for 2 solid weeks so I drove it and drove it. I pretty much ate it up inside. Fluid was running out when I finally took it in but I live on a hil and needed the truck. It has gotten me where I need to go so I dont mind dumping money into it and making it all right.
A breath if fresh air seeing someone that beat the sh** out of his equipment, admitted it, and didn't curse Ford for not taking the fall.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 AM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
A breath if fresh air seeing someone that beat the sh** out of his equipment, admitted it, and didn't curse Ford for not taking the fall.
No I did it. Yes I would say it is a poor design but I could have taken it is tight when I saw the leak and it would have been cheap. I choose to drive it as I needed it and its my fault for destroying it so I pay the bill. I updraded it so it is in great shape now.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Old 07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by w_huisman

OIL COOLER REBUILD KIT
Ford - 3C3Z-6A642-CA

OIL COOLER SCREEN
Ford - 3C3Z-6C683-AB
Great post,I will rep you when I am allowed